Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tour de Houston

Well, I think I've finally adjusted to this week's time change. Sleeping late on Thursday and Friday certainly helped. I know I should have done something like swim or cycle. I kind of cycled on Thursday night--I rode around in the parking lot, trying to get my new-to-me bike adjusted.

Today there was no run. Instead, we did the Tour de Houston. We probably shouldn't have done the actual route. It was from City Hall, down to Minute Maid and over the viaduct (like the marathon route) and over to the Hardy Toll Road. We rode up to the Aldine Bender exit where we turned off and weaved around until we got to the Redstone Golf Course and then virtually back the way we came. It was supposed to be a 40 mile route. I forgot to reset Garmin before we started and then we stopped a couple of time and I forgot to reset it. I think we managed to average more than 15 mph for the whole ride. I came up with 42.5 . . . Will said it was 45 miles. It was good to use the 2-way radios with the headsets. I think I need some practice in using it, but it really helped. Surprisingly, there were quite a few crashed--on good pavement! Luckily I wasn't close to crashing at any time. I think my shorts rubbed a bit. Overall, I don't feel too bad. A little sleepy now (I didn't take a nap).

Still, this isn't a bad ride to do. There's a nice little sack lunch at the end. We should have figured out how to bypass the Redstone part and go straight up to the 70 mile route turn around.

No comments: