Wednesday, February 27, 2008

1200 is a long way

I really didn't want to get up this morning. I kept dreaming about going to Starbucks . . . and getting a toffee almond bar. No, I have not given in and eaten one (although it looks like my Starbucks card balance will be going up again this month!). And I woke up every hour to hour and a half, thinking it was time to get up. Fortunately, I was able to fall back to sleep easily. I was pretty tired last night--I almost fell asleep listening to my population dynamics lecture (fortunately, having taken bio stats and epi and having reviewed math in the last couple of months made this lecture pretty easy to understand). Yes, I got a little behind. At least I'd done just about all the reading. It's the lectures that I'm behind on. And unfortunately, they're LONG.
Joanie asked if I was running the Rodeo Run this weekend . . . one of her co-workers isn't doing it and she said I could have her packet. I don't like late race starts and I think the weather is supposed to be bad, so I passed (I also told her I wasn't doing PIM this session but would be there doing AED for a couple of sessions). The last time I did this race, I was injured (torn shin muscle from the 2006 marathon) and hobbled through the 5k. Of course, the fact it was starting to rain made the decision easier to make. While I'm on the subject of the Rodeo, I went to Cavendar's for the first time. I thought I'd buy a western shirt. At first, I thought I'd buy a cheap one. But I didn't like any of them. Then, I decided I'd buy one I really liked--with embroidery and everything (it's not my style, but if I'm going to wear a "costume," I might as well make it a good one). I figured it wouldn't really go out of style and I could get at least one good wear out of it each year. I should have bought one several years ago (so cost per wear would go down). The unfortunate thing was, they don't fit me that well. So, I've decided to either wait until after Rodeo season and buy a Scully or find one on e-bay. Actually, I'm hoping it rains pretty hard between Saturday morning and Wednesday morning so the parade scents will wash away before the next track session.

Anyway, today's track session wasn't as big of a disaster as last week's workout. I wish I had done the intervals in the reverse order. Based on my time, this is what was on my training schedule:

2 mile warm up
5 x 1200M@ 6:55 - 6:59 w/90sr b/t
1-2 mile warm down

Luckily the workout poster said if your 5k time is over 26 minutes, you only had to do 4 sets. Otherwise, this would have been longer than my long run!

What I actually did was a 1.7 mile warm up in 20 minutes followed by 6:37, 6:42, 6:50, and 6:57. I knew I ran the first 2 too fast. I was hoping for about a 6:48-6:56 on each of them, but was ok with sub-7 for each. I jogged .25 miles after walking a bit. Coach asked how it went. My response was that they got slower but all were faster than my target time . . . and I took slightly more than 90 seconds rest before the last 2. I guess I can look at Garmin times to determine exactly how much more rest I took. It looked like Pamela and her friend (I need to learn her name) were doing a 5th set. But they weren't. I commented to Coach that I would have done 5 if I could go home and sleep. He replied that he was taking today off, putting on the headphones & eye covers and sleeping. I warmed up in the sauna before showering, but my sports bra was so wet that I was still chilled. I read that paper and then fell asleep for about 15 minutes in the chair before showering. The locker room was pretty empty and the hum of the blow dryers was soothing. I didn't really hear the Today Show.

Needless to say I'm still VERY POOPED!

No comments: