Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mosquito Bait

Well, yesterday I didn't make it into the pool. It was warm and toasty in bed and I was sleepy. Going to bed after the 10 pm news does not make it easy to get up. Actually, what I really dreaded was the fact that it was going to be very cold getting out of the pool after the swim. It's a pity that swimming weather is not the same as running weather. Today would have been a better day for a swim and yesterday would have been better for a run.

But, at least I did get up today to run.

I made it to the park by 5:30. I did my 1.5 mile warm up as usual. Then, I thought I should get a head start on the work out b/c at my pace, it takes a long time! This is what I was supposed to do:

2 mile warm up
3 x 800M @4:27 -4:33 w/ 1mr
5mr
2 x 800M @4:23 -4:29 w/ 1mr
5mr
1 x 800M @4:19 -4:25
1-2 mile warm down

My workout ended up being rather disasterous. The first 800 was great--right within the time. The next two were a bit too fast. So was the 4th one. By the time I got to the 5th one, I cratered. Thus, even the last one was a bit too slow. Well, I guess I could say that I ran all of them within the prescribed targets--just not in the right order. When I complained it was disasterous, Sean laughed and agreed that going out too fast would make the 5th one really tough. It was. The other problem was the weather. Medium cool, humid days are terrible for me since I start getting puffy. By the time I'd finished 5 miles, I noticed my fingers were starting to get puffy. I didn't manage to do the 1-2 mile warm down either. I did more like half a mile--very slowyly.

I didn't quite make it for the beginning of core. But I did most of it. And what's up with the mosquitos?!?!? It's February, not April. Of course, we are experiencing beautiful April-like weather (except today it's still cloudy b/c a cold front is supposed to bring rain in). Much of core was spent swatting mosquitos.

Later today, I have to go to the dentist. Yuck.

No comments: