Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Suddenly, a sea mist appeared

Yuck. My race results from Saturday were far from what I'd hoped for. They didn't use Champion Chips but some other kind of chip and the results are still not posted 3 days later.

I was worried--I didn't sleep well. I guess I was worried because of the previous day's violation. And it didn't do any good to find that the temps were in the high 50s as we drove down to Surfside. The neat part was that I got almost 40 mpg! And, I commented that we'd need to get gas on the way back. There was a Shell station in Lake Jackson that posted $2.79. That's about ten cents cheaper than anything up here. But on the way back, they'd changed the price--to $2.73! How exciting. I rest the computer and I think I posted 38.9 mpg as an average from the gas station back.

Anyway, back to the race. It was cloudy as we prepared for the race. A bit chilly with the damp breeze, but actually quite pleasant. We watched the sun rise. What was most interesting was how it disappeared as it rose. I wish I had brought the camera. By the time the race started at 8, the sun was shining and there were only a few clouds. A beautiful day. But that means it's too hot to run.

I decided to run conservatively. I realized as soon as we went to pick up our packets that I'd forgotten Garmin--it was still charging. Oh well. Lee was with me for about the first half mile. We were running under 11. I plodded along and I think I was pretty steady. The first 5 miles was ok. I figured that if I could make it to the second u-turn, that I could take a break and then run back. Unfortunately, I only managed to run to mile 8. Then, I walked most of miles 8 & 9. I hoped that I could run the last 4.1 miles. It didn't happen. As hard as I tried, I cannot keep my pace down after I start walking. It ended up being sprint/walk the last part of the race. I think I finished in 2:45 something. I also felt kind of gurgly the whole race.

The bbq was very plentiful. However, I think it might have made me a little sick. After we finished our lunch, we started changing. I suddenly felt really chilled. We looked up and a heavy sea fog had blanketed the beach. Thinking it was too dangerous to drive with the fog, we napped in the car for about 20 minutes. It was funny--once we got onto the Blue Water Highway, the fog was much lighter. I guess the beach houses blocked it. Once over the bridge on 342, it was pretty much gone. It was bright & sunny the whole way back to town.

After a rest, we got together with the old running group--well, Brandy (and Jerry) took Kerry's place (since he had a church function). We got to hear the details of P&S's Harley adventure that's landed her with a walker. Still, it was fun to get together.

Here are the splits (or at least as many as the watch had time room for):
Mile 1 11'33"27 00:11:33.27
Mile 2 10'57"97 00:22:31.24
Mile 3 11'00"37 00:33:31.37
Mile 4 11'44"99 00:45:16.36
Mile 5 11'40"86 00:56:57.22
Mile 6 12'11"20 01:09:08.42
Mile 7 12'11"50 01:21:19.92
Mile 8 12'29"31 01:33:49.23

Total: 02:45:13.67

According to the official results, my time was a 2:45:18--27th out of 46 in my 10 year age group.

No comments: