Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A track workout or a long run?

Here is what was supposed to be on tap for today.

2 mile warm up jog
3 miles@10:00-10:10 pace
5 min rest1 mile @sub 9:00
If your 5K time is slower than 27 minutes only run 1/2 mile after the 3 mile tempo run
1 mile warm down
7 miles total

It made me somewhat glad that I can't quite run under 27 yet!

So, I did a 1.5 mile warm up. I stopped (as usual) at the blue house at .5 miles and then hopped back on the trail. When I'd turned around, I ran into Robert, so we ran back to the blue house (when he stopped). I think I was running a bit slow for him. The worst part was that I bushed my finger on my face and my contact popped out. (Kind of ironic since I didn't find my contact in its case when I was getting ready this morning. Fortunately, I found it on the floor.) By the time I reached the starting point, the mass start had happened. I waited about a minute or 2 more and then took off with Kathryn. Unfortunately, I realized she had started a bit fast. Still, I was able to keep my pace (more or less). I don't know if the first cone was off a bit or what, but Garmin had each of the miles just a little short. I think I ran another 10 seconds to make up the extra distance--I should have looked at the time when I passed the last cone. In any event, I finished the 3 miles in 29:47. That's about 5 seconds faster per mile than my target. After a bit more than 5 minutes, I embarked on part 2. I was not looking forward to it. I was pretty warm after the 3 miles, but must have really cooled down. My hands were freezing at the end of the 800. I checked my time as I passed the blue house--I was at about 2:09. When I finished the 800, the watch said 4:15. But, it also said 0.49 miles. I walked a bit and then Robert, Kathryn, and this other woman whose name I don't know yet jogged back. They were about to start core. I grabbed Neat and headed over for the second half. Luckily there were 2 other people who wanted to core part 2 so I joined them.

I guess the big comment of the day was: Seven miles? That's a long run! (Good thing I only did 5.5!)

No comments: