Monday, February 18, 2008

The Running World Changes

Ok. We headed out to Memorial Park Sunday morning. It was actually very pretty out--slightly damp feeling from all the rain on Saturday. But it was getting late--after 9 am. The good news was that the Fitness Center was open. The bad news was that it was after 9 am. We planned to run 2 loops for a total of about 6 miles. I struggled just to get to 2 miles. Cramping and soreness set in. My pace was pretty good though. We jogged slowly for about a mile. Then I saw the table with shirts. I finally figured it out.

When I had stopped at the granite water fountain to get a drink and to stretch, I saw a couple (they appeared to be walkers) sitting on a bench wearing shirts that said, The Running World Changes and February 19, 2008. I was trying to figure out what race was going on. I must have been tired because it took a long time to figure it out. Only when I saw another guy wearing the shirt (he was definintely a runner) and the table did I know what was going on. It's all references to the announcement that Sally (can't think of her last name) from the Memorial Park Conservancy made the other night. Too bad I have class on Tuesday morning.

Anyway, we barely made the 3 miles. Even though it was pretty out, we headed for the Met and did 30 minutes on the elliptical. According to the measurement device on the elliptical, I went about 2.9 miles--the same as I would have done had I been running on real ground. Don't know why my legs felt so heavy: could be all the extra calories from eating out ALL last week (except Thursday when it was leftovers from earlier in the week) or the fact that I was pretty dehydrated from Saturday.

The afternoon was spent looking at houses. I found 2 that I really like. One is used and one is under construction. Too bad they're soo expensive!

No comments: